Friday, February 22, 2008

Dude, where's my wallet?

An alternative title for this entry: "24"

Okay, yesterday I lost my wallet. I realised it when I was making my way to shower at YIH from gym training. Was walking with Syed while carrying my laptop and clothes then I realised, why is it a bit light?

I checked the pockets of my jeans and I realised my wallet was missing. But I was calm. I put down my stuff and checked my bag. Not there. Asked Syed to look after my stuff for a while. My first thought was: My jeans pocket is abit shallow, so the wallet can easily drop out. Where can it drop out? Went back to the gym and searched the place. Not there. Traced my steps to the toilet where I changed... Not there. My wallet dropped out while I was changing before. I did not panic Alhamdulillah. I think all the mental training of "The first step to a problem is not to worry about it" did turn out well. Went back and forth 3 times and Syed even helped me. Matric card... Ez-link card... $80... family picture... okay that's all that's important inside my wallet.

So we tried to find a security office near the area. Didn't know where. I called the Campus Security line and the person directed me to the Lost and Found line. But no one picked up. It was past 5:30... So the office maybe closed. I was like thinking... how do I go home? Oh yes, I have coins what. Oh wait, the coins are in my wallet. Haha. Stupid moment. I had my ATM card with me. Alhamdulillah. I separated my ATM card from my wallet in case I lose my wallet. True enough, it kinda became a self-fulfilling prophecy. And no, I don't carry my IC around.

Tawakal. Maybe this is balasan for my previous dosa-dosa. Hopefully I'll be forgiven. So we went to YIH where I found out from Aizat that the Lost And Found Centre is at the Student Services Centre. Went there but it was closed. Never mind. Kalau tak dapat, takper. Then I began looking at the bright side of things:
- I could have lost more expensive things: my laptop, my PSP, my camera, the watch my mom gave me. So yeah, the wallet is small compared to any of that.
- I could have lost my dignity, or my memory, or myself. Okay, not funny.
- Hey, I can finally use the new wallet I got for my birthday 2 years ago.
- Learn that separating my ATM card and wallet is indeed a good idea. Alhamdulillah.

Had Mega Karnival meeting. After which, I went back home with Khairi and her two friends from NP, Taufik and Bilal. Khairi lent me her spare Ez-link card. Thanks, owe you one.

The next morning, which is this morning, I wanted to call the office again. But since I had lab from 9-12, I couldn't. I called after I finished my experiments. They said since my matric card was inside, if they find it, they would email me. So I just have to wait for the email. No email.

After SEA lecture, I went to Central Library to print my lab report. Borrowed Amirah's card to get in. After printing the notes, I was about to go out of the library when I thought: Why not I check with them here... Talked to the reception lady who asked me to go to counter 4 inside. But I told her I couldn't cos I don't have my card. Hehe, she let me in and I proceeded there. Apparently there was a Lost And Found display and there I saw it... my wallet, with a note tied to it "Reference Section, Level 5. 21/02/2008"
I went to study there before I went to gym yesterday. ALHAMDULILLAH.
The librarian that return it to me asked, "Why so careless?". With an embarassed smile, I replied, "At least I get a second chance". Haha, was so happy. Alhamdulillah. I really thought I had my wallet all the way when I went for gym.

To the person who returned my wallet to the appropriate people, THANK YOU! Owe you one, whoever you are. Karma does go around so hopefully it'll reach you!

There you have it. about 24 hours without my wallet. So morals of the story:
1) Never assume the scenario until all the possiblities have been considered. Like me, I only narrowed my mind to the possibility of dropping my wallet while I was changing.
2) Usaha dulu, baru tawakal. Next time, in any situation I shall try my best to solve the problem from all angles before tawakal.

Interesting quote for the day:
"You don't know how much something means to you until you lose it."
This is a cliche line with variations so I dunno who actually said/wrote it. Of course, this quote applies beyond physical and material losses... Treasure your family and friends before you lose them or you leave them...

No comments: